Railway minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu at Rail Bhavan.
PM Narendra Modi happy with Suresh Prabhu’s Rail Budget, calls it forward looking, futuristic. The Railway Budget 2015-16, that left passenger and freight fares untouched, envisages an investment of Rs.850,000 crore over the next five years — mostly directed towards modernizing existing tracks and introducing faster trains.
2.30 pm: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday described the 2015 rail budget as a “watershed” moment for Indian Railways and called it “forward-looking, futuristic and passenger-centric budget”.
“Rail budget 2015 is a forward looking, futuristic and passenger centric budget, combining a clear vision and a definite plan to achieve it,” Modi said in a tweet after Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu presented his maiden budget here.
1.36 pm: I don’t really see anything new, just continuation of previous projects: Pawan Bansal, former Railway Minister.
Read the full Indian Railways 2015 budget here.
RAILWAY BUDGET HIGHLIGHTS:
– Delhi-Mumbai to become overnight travel.
-10 satellite stations this year. Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed trains.
-Will set up ‘Kayakalp’ to help in Technology Upgradation.
-We intend to introduce technology portal to invite innovative technological solutions.
-To prevent fire in coaches, we’ll install train protection warning system and train collision avoiding system.
– We are launching a coastal connectivity programme this year.
– Rs.2000 cr for Coastal Connectivity Programme; Rs.2500 cr through BOT/Annuity route. 1000 MWSolar plant; 100DEMUs to dual fuel.
– I offer my deepest condolences to families of all accident victims and railway personnel who lost their lives.
– For high-speed trains on other routes on the diamond quadrilateral studies being commissioned, are working on it.
– 67% more funds allotted for passenger amenities.
– In 400 stations wi-fi facility will be provided.
– Request MPs to use part of their MP lad to improve facilities.
– We will introduce Train sets saving 20% journey time, similar to bullet trains in design, can run on existing tracks.
– We will be initiating an SMS alert service to inform passengers about arrival & departure of the trains.
– We will also be providing facility of online booking of wheelchair for senior citizens.
– Introducing Operation 5 mins, wherein passengers travelling unreserved can purchase a ticket in 5 minutes.
– A Mobile application to address complaints of people is also being developed.
– Food can be ordered from IRCTC website.
– Clean drinking water at low cost at railway stations.
– Cleanliness in Railways highest priority for us, we now work on Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat.
– We will increase number of mechanised laundry, an All India 24-7 helpline number will become operational.
– Airplane like Vaccum toilets in trains.
– More bed rolls will be available at stations.
– To build toilets in 600 stations.
– GM to get more tendering powers.
– We’ll be revamping management practices, processes and procedures.
– Indian Railways will continue to serve common man, people of India will own Railways always.
– Goal one – to ensure good customer experience to receive a huge boost.
– These objectives will ensure Railway is an integral part of flagship programs launched by PM.
– We have fixed goals for ourselves, make Rail a safer means of travel.
– Suresh Prabhu,Railway Min #RailBudget2015 : Railway continue to be our precious national asset.
– Suresh Prabhu,Railway Min #RailBudget2015 : Modernise infrastructure, make Indian Railways financially self-sustainable.
– Objective is to make Bhartiya Rail financially sustainable.
–492 section of Railways are running at a capacity of more than 100%; 228 running between 80-100%.
–We must restore the strength of Bharatiya Railway as the backbone of India.
– Investment in Indian Railways is necessary for environment sustainability and well being of future generations.
– Is it surprising that the Rajdhani and Shatabdi can run at 130Km/Hr but actually run at 70Km/Hr.
–Kuch naya jodna hoga, kuch purana todna hoga, kuch engine badalne honge, kuch repair karne honge. Kuch raste badalne honge, kuch naye raste khojne honge, I’m convinced we can deliver but we can’t deliver overnight.
–Over the next 5yrs railways has to go through a transformation.
–Our priority will be to significantly improve high density networks of Indian Railways.
–Express gratitude to PM Narendra Modi to serve the people of India through the Ministry of Railways.
– I thank PM Modi for infusing all Indians with a sense of pride and dream of prosperous nation.
11. 58 am: 95 percent of our passengers are common people; We have to take care of their interests, priorities & grievances: Suresh Prabhu #RailBudget2015
11.24 am: Venkaiah Naidu clarifies says he always presents facts.
11.23 am: Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena on Rail Budget: Suresh Prabhu will present a good budget and try to live up to people’s aspirations.
11.12 am: I have one problem I always give facts, I respect the Opposition, never used unparliamentary language : Venkaiah Naidu in LS
11.01 am: Venkaiah Naidu should express regret : Sonia Gandhi
10.49 am: PM chairs a meeting of Union Cabinet Ministers, Rajnath Singh,Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Venkaiah Naidu & RP Rudy present, meeting underway
10.40 am: Opposition parties write to LS speaker seeking apology from Venkaiah Naidu for his statement, meeting of opposition leaders ends
8.30 am: Bullet train is ‘Alice in wonderland’, a great idea but 1 bullet train for 1 km is about 300 crore, is it doable?: Former Rail Minister Dinesh Trivedi
8.24 am: There is a need to strengthen foundation of railways first, improvement of facilities: Dinesh Trivedi, Former Railways Minister
8.22 am: Rail Budget will bring smile to everyone’s face, all issues will be addressed,complete roadmap will be presented: Manoj Sinha, MoS Railway
8. 21 am: Female security officers should be deployed in every coach for safety of women: Delhi local resident #RailBudget2015
8.20 am: Have huge expectations from BJP govt, want cleanliness and better facilities: Mumbai train passenger on #RailBudget2015
8.15 am: We can 1st emphasise on running semi high-speed trains, 5 routes were identified, work can be expedited: Pawan Bansal
8.10 am: Bullet trains is an iconic project, it’s nt something which is absolutely important, as cost will be too high: Pawan Bansal, Former Rail Minister